How to use default geo-targeting in DirigoEdge 3.x04/27/2017
Various types of modules in the DirigoEdge CMS may* be targeted toward visitors from specific geographic locations, based on their IP location. These might include homepage hero modules, promo modules or others.
* Geo-targeting must be enabled as part of your project scope. If targeting was not built into the project, then it takes a small effort to enable and configure this technology which is 'baked' into DirigoEdge 3.x.
To target a module by geographical rules:
- Open the module or module scheduler you wish to target.
- If present, set the Use Geo-Region option to Yes.
- In the Geo Region dropdown, select the Geo-Region module you wish to use as the target for the module. (see below)
- Click Update.
We've included 2 screenshots from one of our ski resort clients to show you an example of geo-targeting for a promotion (images open in a new browser window).
When configuring homepage hero images with the Hero Manager for specific geo-targets, always configure at least one default hero image that will be displayed for all visitors who do not meet the specifications of the targeted hero images, and have that/those un-targeted hero images placed BELOW any targeted hero images in the list.
When configuring the homepage Promo Scheduler modules for specific geo-targets, always configure at least one default module that will be displayed for all visitors who do not meet the specifications of the targeted modules, and have that/those un-targeted promos placed ABOVE any targeted promos in the list .
Geo-Region modules are pre-defined sets of location data. One of these five sets of criteria is used for targeting a Geo-Region.
- Country (2-character codes)
- US State/ Canadian Province (2-characted codes)
- US Postal Code
- Metro Code (Nielsen DMAs) (3-digit codes)
- Area Code (3-digit codes)
To create a new Geo-Region in the CMS, go to Content > Modules. Click New Module and set the schema to Geo-Region.
In the Edit Module page, you may select the criteria you wish to use for targeting, using the dropdown at the top. Then, enter the specific targeting criteria, separated by commas, in the appropriate text field below. The Geo-Region only uses one set of criteria on which to target, based on the dropdown selection at the top.
- Country Codes ( 2nd option )
- Zip Code/Area Code lookup by user-defined area ( by radius or county )
- Nielsen Metro/DMA Codes