Claiming your business page on Yelp12/07/2012
Reputation Management. Yelp is one of the most useful tools today to find great local businesses ranging all the way from health care to entertainment and auto dealerships and big-box stores. Millions of people are relying on user-generated review sites to help them gain information and experiences about stores, shops, and brands. As a business owner it is your duty to manage your business page—just as you protect and manage your reputation through ethical business practices and good customer service—and to respond quickly and cordially to reviews, both positive and negative.
Now keep in mind, your business may very well be already listed on Yelp whether it was generated by users, third party data providers, or previous owners or staff. The first step is to find your local listing and claim the page so that you may manage the page and better optimize user-generated content and the consumer-merchant interaction (aka tell your side of the story).
How to claim your page on Yelp?
- Visit http://www.yelp.com
- In the top Search for box, type in the name of your business, along with the location of the business in the Near box and click Search. A list of businesses will be presented to you that fit the description you entered.
- Click the business that you own or manage and you will be directed to your businesses listing page. This is where your customers and prospective clients go to read and provide feedback about your online reputation.
- Under your businesses name, address and contact information will be a link titled “Work Here? Unlock This Business page” or a little further down will also be a link that reads Claim This Business. Whichever link is clicked, you will be directed to The Yelp for Business Owners page.
- Yelp provides you with very detailed and easy steps that will prompt you to create an account and enter the necessary information.
NOTE: Along the way, you may run into an obstacle or two, specifically in the verification of your account. Simply put, be ready and although it may not go completely smooth, Yelp provides very good customer support 24/7.
You are now in charge of your very own Yelp Business Page. Manage it accordingly with prompt responses to reviews and accurate information and photos regarding your business. This is a powerful marketing tool, so use it wisely and put your best foot forward when responding to reviews.
And if you have your hands full running your business, we can help. We’ve developed an online reputation system that monitors various review sites and notifies you when reviews are published, plus we’ll support you in responding to reviews, and we use our email system to solicit authentic and positive reviews on the review sites where you need them most.