BitVise (WinSSHD) error password has expired and cannot be changed04/07/2010
Bitvise is a Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) which encrypts all of the information that passes from the server to your computer. When dealing with sensitive information it is an imperative piece of the security puzzle. You can find the official BitVise website here.
So if you are reading this you probably already have BitVise installed, and you can no longer connect. The official error message is:
"Authentication attempt from 127.0.0.1 with user name 'yourusername' failed. Password has expired and cannot be changed."
These quick instructions will explain how to fix this issue for virtual users. Results may vary if you are using Active Directory.
- Open an RDP connection to your server.
- Right click on "Computer" and select "Manage".
- On the left hand navigation tree click on "Local Users and Groups".
- Right click on the user "WinSSHD_VirtualUsers".
- Deselect the option that says "User must change password at next logon".
- Selected the options "User cannot change password" and "Password never expires".
You should now be able to logon again via SFTP, and the BitVise account for Virtual Users should never lock you out again because of a required password reset. What causes this? Windows periodically forces password resets for the sake of security.